Arnott and his family

Arnott got interested in selling Raleigh products, which included toiletries, food ingredients (like baking soda, drink mixes, etc) and other assorted lotions and a few cosmetics.  In those days the farmers wives were often stuck on the farm with no vehicle to use, so they usually only went into town to shop once a week.  They found it very convenient when a sales rep would come right to their home and offer them things for their home and kitchen.  Arontt went to Birtle to start selling Raleigh products, as there was already a Raleigh Rep. in the Coulter area.  Dorothy went to Birtle when she started to teach school.  There were not a lot of young people in the area, and Dorothy and Arnott started going out together, and then they got married and settled in Birtle.  An unusual wedding presents they received was a puppy, which was not really something they were anxious to have, but they felt obliged to accept it graciously.  So "Prince" became part of the family, and soon they also had their first child Bill.  They lived in a small rented house with a large garden.  Arnott liked gardening, so they planted vegetables and then tried to make preserves that they kept in their earth basement.  They had no running water, just a cistern in the basement and a pump in the kitchen.   They used a two burner hot plate and a wood stove for cooking.  On bath day they heated one tub of water and bathed the baby, then Dorothy would have her turn to bath, then Arnott and finally the dog.   During the second world war, Arnott was unable to join the army due to his varicose veins.  Gas was rationed so Arnott was also unable to do his Raleigh route.  Many of the local farmers had their purple farm gas, which they offered to him so that he could continue to make his rounds, but he knew this was not honest, so he turned it down.  They moved to Winnipeg so that Arnott could look for other work.  Arnott got a job as a government inspector at Canada Packers, but it was smelly work, and he didn't enjoy it much.  When the war was over the government wanted to give government jobs to returning service men, and so Arnott was laid off.  That suited him fine, because the gas rationing was now over and he could return to selling Raleigh products, which was something he enjoyed doing.  Rather than returning to Birtle, however, they stayed in Winnipeg and he sold Raleigh products in the Winnipeg area instead.  He didn't sell right in the city, however, because he found it more lucrative to sell to the farm wives that did not have easy access to stores.  During the war they had their second child, Janice, and following the war they had their third child Murray.  When Arnott became too sick to work, Dorothy returned to work as a teacher.  Later, after Arnott's death, she married the widower of Arnott's cousin Calista.  Bill and Janice has left home by that time, so Dorothy and Murray moved out to the old Atkinson farm that Arnott had spent so much time on in his youth.  Dorothy continued to teach in Melita for many years until she eventually retired.  Dorothy and Jim remained in Melita until his death, and Dorothy still lives there today.

Bill and his wife Michele started teaching in Frobisher Bay NWT (now Nunavut), where they had their two children Carmen and Alex.  After about 5 years up there, they moved down to Calgary where they continued to teach until they retired.

Janice and her husband Conrad lived and worked mainly in Ontario, where they had their only child Gail.  Conrad worked for Canadian Press, and Janice did some teaching.  Eventually they bought an instant film processing franchise in Winnipeg.  They continued to run the franchise until their retirement, and they remained in Winnipeg until they died.

Murray has lived most of his life in Winnipeg and spent most of his career working for the local telephone company.  He married Bonnie Schultz who was killed in a car accident seven years after they married.  Later, Murray married Susan Fehr.  They had their first child Deleah in Winnipeg, but moved to Ottawa when they were expecting their second child Duncan.  Murray was on loan to a nation consortium of telephone companies called Telecom Canada.  They stayed in Ottawa for three years and then returned to Winnipeg.  They still live in Winnipeg today, where Murray is retired while Susan still works part time as a nurse.

Janice had once heard of a custom where people got together to celebrate and remember someone on their one hundredth birthday, whether they were still alive or not.  She liked this idea, so when the one hundredth anniversary of Arnott's birth was approaching she asked anyone still living who had known him to write down anything they could remember about him.  The fruits of this efforts are available here.